top of page

5463 Lance Corporal Isaac Samuel James Jones

             23rd Battalion Australian Infantry

                           28th March 1918

Born in Ferntree Gully, Victoria,Australia in 1893.

His parents were William & Ellen Jones and he had a brother,James(1896-1919).

In 1913 he married Dulcie May Stokes(1893-28/08/1966) in Victoria.They had 2 children,Sydney Patrick(1913-1953)

and Valma Ellen(born in 1914).

In the 1914 & 1915 Australian census' he was recorded as being employed as a butcher and they were living at

13 Hamilton Street, Mont Albert, Victoria. 

He enlisted on 25/01/1916 in Melbourne, Victoria and he gave his employment as being a warehouseman and his address as

"Kaleno" Guildford Road Surrey Hills Victoria.

At his medical examination ,that was carried out on the same day,the following information was recorded;

Height 5ft 6 3/4 inches.Weight 128lbs.Chest Measurement 33 1/2 - 36 1/3 inches.Complexion dark.Eyes dark brown.Hair black.

He had 1 scar above his left ankle and 1 mole in the small of his back.Religion Church of England.

He wrote his will on 15/07/1916 leaving all his property and effects to his wife.

On 01/08/1916 in Melbourne,Australia,he embarked aboard "Miltiades" and dis-embarked in Plymouth,England on 25/09/1916.

Marched into 6th Training base in Rollestone on 26/09/1916.

Admitted to Fargo Military Hospital with influenza on 17/11/1916.

Discharged to duty on 03/01/1917.

Reverts to rank of Acting Lance Corporal as from 28/12/1916

Marched in from hospital on 03/01/1917.

Proceeded overseas to France from Folkestone aboard S.S.Arundel on 03/02/1917.

Marched in from England to 2nd Australian Division Base Etaples on 04/02/1917.

Reverts to ranks 05/02/1917.

Marched out to unit on 08/02/1917.

To hospital sick(reinforcements not yet on strength) on 15/02/1917.

Admitted to 7th Australian Field Ambulance with tonsillitis on 16/02/1917.

Discharged to duty on 21/02/1917.

Admitted to 2nd Divisional Rest Station on 28/02/1917 with influenza.

To unit for duty on 11/03/1917.

Taken on strength to be Lance Corporal on 26/03/1917.

To hospital sick on 20/04/1917 admitted to 4th Australian Field Ambulance.

Admitted to 56th Casualty Clearing Station on 21/04/1917 with influenza.

Admitted to No.4 Ambulance Train with influenza on 23/04/1917,then onto 12th General Hospital in Rouen.

Admitted to ambulance train on 03/05/1917 and embarked for England from Le Havre aboard H.S.Warilda.

On 04/05/1917,he was admitted to 1st Southern General Hospital,Monyhull,Birmingham.Debility severe.

To furlough and report to Training Depot,Perham Downs on 01/06/1917.

Marched in from furlough to No.1 Command Depot ,Perham Downs and classified B1A(garrison service abroad,able to to march,

see to shoot,hear well and stand active service conditions) on 02/06/1917.

Marched out to camp headquarters,Perham Downs on 20/06/1917.

Marched in to Overseas Training Brigade ,Perham Downs on 20/06/1917.

Marched out to No.1 Command Depot ,Perham Downs on 29/06/1917.

Marched out to Overseas Training Brigade,Perham Downs on 25/08/1917.

Sick to Delhi Hospital - Bronchitis on 03/09/1917.

Admitted to Tidworth Military Hospital with Ulcerative Stomatitis on 03/09/1917.

Discharged to Depot on 15/10/1917.

Marched in from Delhi Hospital to Overseas Training Brigade,Longbridge on 15/10/1917.

Proceeded overseas to France ex Overseas Training Brigade Sandhill Camp Longbridge Deverill via Southampton on 10/11/1917.

Marched in from England into 2nd Australian Divisional Base,Le Havre on 11/11/1917.

Marched out to 23rd Battalion on 15/11/1917.

Rejoined 23rd Battalion from sick on 19/11/1917.

To hospital sick on 14/12/1917.

Admitted to 6th Australian Field Ambulance with P.U.O. on 14/12/1917.

To unit for duty on 19/12/1917.

Rejoined 23rd Battalion from sick on 23/12/1917.

Killed in action on 28/03/1918.

At the time of his death,his home address was 8 Nelson Road,Boxhill,Victoria. 

His effects returned to his wife via "Barunga" on 21/06/1918 in case 1149;

Disc, Metal Watch(damaged),Whistle and Lanyard,1 Purse,Writing Pad Cover,Photos,Letters,Metal Mirror,1 cloth badge.

His widow later got remarried to Fred Finch and lived at 51 Iris Road Glen Iris,Victoria.

His memorial plaque was collected on behalf of his widow by her new husband on 16/11/1922.

bottom of page