top of page

15437 Lance Corporal Ernest Victor Walker

D Company 2nd Battalion

3rd New Zealand Rifle Brigade

3rd January 1918  

pw35 Lance Corporal Ernest Victor Walker

Born in Whangarei, New Zealand in July 1886.

His parents were George Henry Walker(1845-15/06/1892) and Sarah Ann Carr(1853-15/07/1922). They were married on 02/12/1867.

Ernest had 4 brothers; Frederick William(1870-1943), Robert Oscar(1876-1947), William Watson(1877-1950) and George Henry(1880-1954).

He also had 3 sisters; Flora Elizabeth(born in 1868),Eva Eleanor(1873-1932) and Violet Maud(1888-1965).

The 1914 NZ Electoral Roll records Ernest as living in Rotorua and employed as a train examiner.

He enlisted at Trentham Camp on 05/04/1916, having already had a medical on 15/03/1916,details below;

Apparent  Age - 29 years, Height - 5ft 9 inches, Weight - 10st 11lb

Chest Measurement - Minimum - 34 inches, Maximum - 371/2 inches

Complexion - Fair, Colour of Eyes - Blue, Colour of Hair - Fair

Religious Profession - Presbyterian

Tattooed coat of arms on right forearm.

Ernest's journey to the Western front, began in Wellington on 29/07/1916  sailing aboard the Ulimaroa until 28/09/1916 when he disembarked in Devonport, England. He was marched into Sling Camp, Salisbury Plain the same day. 

He stayed at Sling until 10/10/1916 when he was sent to France, marching into the Etaples camp the next day.

Ernest joined his battalion and was posted to D Company on 22/11/1916.

At the start of the following year on 07/01/1917, he was detached to the Railway Construction party, whom he stayed with for the next couple of months before returning to his unit on 15/03/1917. 

He was detached from his unit again on 21/04/1917, this time to the NZ  Working Battalion. Whilst with them he was awarded

3 days field punishment No.2 after being found guilty of being absent from parade on 25/04/1917.

He returned to his unit on 18/05/1917.

Ernest was promoted to Lance Corporal whilst doing police duties on 17/08/1917.

He was given leave to the UK on  12/101/1917, returning to his unit on 24/10/1917 .

He was killed in action on 03/01/1918.

Ernest was awarded the 1914-1918 British War and Allied Victory medals.


bottom of page