top of page

200660 Private Thomas Hunt


York and Lancaster Regiment

8th March 1918


Born in Monk Bretton near Barnsley,Yorkshire in 1892.

His parents were George Edward Hunt(1868-22/09/1924) and Susannah Victory(1867-29/04/1914). They were married in 1889. 

Thomas had 8 brothers; George(26/04/1890-1971),Samuel(1893-04/12/1893),Henry(1895-1987),

Edward Wilson(1897-1983),


Albert(1903-1921) and Charles(24/10/1908-1998).

He also had 3 sisters Susannah(1905-1925),Ada Muriel(24/06/1907) and Caroline(26/02/1911-1996).

They all had a half brother, William Victory(16/12/1887-02/02/1973).  

In the 1901 census, the family were recorded as living at

9 Belmont Monk Bretton near Barnsley. George was employed as a coal miner (hewer).

In the 1911 census, it showed the family were still at the same address other than they had moved next door to number 8. George was still a coal miner (hewer) and Thomas was now employed as an underground rope runner in a colliery. This job involved accompanying sets of drams or tubs on the rope haulage system in a colliery for the purpose of changing over the rope or ropes at the end of the run.

Thomas enlisted in Barnsley on 03/09/1914 into the 5th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment as Private 2385.

Details of his medical performed on the same day are as follows;

Apparent age 22 years,7 months. Height 5 feet 8 3/4 inches. Chest when fully expanded 37 1/4 inches, range of expansion 2 1/4 inches. Vision normal in both eyes.

His disembarkation into France was in Boulogne on 14/04/1915 via Folkstone the day before.

Thomas was given 5 days Field Punishment No.2 on 04/11/1915 for neglecting to obey an order.

He was appointed acting Lance Corporal(paid) in 1/5th Battalion on 21/12/1915.

The next day he was admitted to Div. R.S. suffering with Bronchitis and did not re-join his battalion until 28/12/1915.

On the first day of the Battle of the Somme(01/07/1916) Thomas' battalion were in the assembly trenches in Aveluy Wood(north west of Albert) and at 13.30 were moved up to to the British front trenches alongside the River Ancre.

The battalion attempted to assist 108 Brigade of the 36th (Ulster)Division, which had made good progress but had become cut off.(Information from The long,long trail website). 

During the attack, Thomas was wounded and received gunshot wounds to his right thigh, breast and shoulder. He was taken to No.29 Casualty Clearing Station at Gezaincourt on 02/07/1916,before being transferred to a hospital in Rouen the next day. He was transferred back to England via Le Havre on 14/07/1916 aboard HMHS Maheno.

Whilst recovering from his wounds, he was posted to 3/5th Battalion on 03/08/1916 and then to the 4th Reserves on 01/09/1916.

He reverts to Private on 22/01/1917.

His return to France came on 17/07/1917 with B company from Folkestone, disembarking in Boulogne the same day, then marching to Etaples on the 18/07/1917.

He was posted to 1/5th York And Lancaster Regiment on 17/07/1917.

Thomas was wounded again on 09/10/1917,this time from a gunshot wound to his hand and was admitted to hospital in Abbeville on 10/10/1917. He re-joined his battalion on 28/11/1917.  

He was killed in action on 08/03/1917.

His personal possessions, a mirror, knife, photo and letters were returned to his father on 06/07/1918.

He was awarded the 1914-1915 Star, the 1914-1918 British War and the Allied Victory medals.  

bottom of page